My interest in knives are primarily the technical aspect with focus on functionality and mechanical properties as toughness and wear resistance. To achieve excellence in my knives I use the optimum materials for knives available today, and I have access to heat treatment practices unavailable for most knifemakers.



My background as a metallurgist gives me an understanding of materials beyond that of most. This is a great resource in most parts of knife making, especially in material selection and heat treatment. There is a vast number of steels on the marked, and those considered the best are in most cases not. To evaluate and choose materials you have to understand how the steel is affected by the composition and heat treatment.

Handle materials


I prefer to use either G-10 or canvas micarta on my knives. These are composite materials with high strength and wear resistance, they do not absorb any water, need any post treatment or are prone to cracking. G-10 is glass fiber reinforced and micarta is reinforced with canvas fiber. The handles are bead blasted to get a coarse surface to improve the grip in wet conditions. The standard color is black on G-10 and green on the micarta, but I usually have other colors in stock. For winter use I have white linen micarta for camouflage purposes (for those who need it), and white kydex is also available. The smaller knives will sometimes have handles of coarse textured G-10 in black or ranger green.

For polished handles, for a more elegant look linen micarta is recommended. The finer structure in the fibers in this material is better suited for polishing and gives a nice appearance. On the other hand, blasting of linen micarta gives less improved grip and a pale grey look, and should not be done.

For the traditional customers I supply curly birch (“valbjørk”). This is the most used handle material in Norway, and can have a dens pattern of flames and bark particles. This material demands better maintenance and I do not take any responsibility for damage of the handle during use.